|सीमा शुल्क अंचल, बेंगलूरू|
HISTORY OF BENGALURU CUSTOMS ZONE
The present Bangalore Customs Commissionerate was originally a part of the Mysore Central Excise & Customs Collectorate which later became the Karnataka Central Excise & Customs Collectorate after reorganization of the States in 1956. The Karnataka Central Excise & Customs Commissionerate, which came into effect from 18th July 1957, had the jurisdiction over the entire state of Karnataka. In 1983, the Karnataka Customs and Central Excise Collectorate was trifurcated to form Bangalore Central Excise Collectorate, Belgaum Central Excise Collectorate and Karnataka Customs Collectorate. These were reorganized in July 1997 leading to the formation of the office of the Chief Commissioner of Customs and Central Excise, Bangalore. A separate office of Chief Commissioner of Customs, Bangalore was created with a jurisdiction of Bangalore, Mangalore and Cochin in 2002. In 2009, Cochin was separated from the jurisdiction of the Chief Commissioner of Customs, Bangalore which currently covers Bangalore and Mangalore.
The various field formations evolved over time starting in 1970 with the formation of the Postal Appraisal Department to facilitate the clearance of postal parcels at Bangalore. In 1972, the Air Cargo Complex was formed at Bangalore to unload Aircraft parts, accessories and materials for the Aircraft industry vide Notification No.125/72 dated 25.11.1972. In 1979, the ‘Customs Division’ was formed followed by the opening of the Inland Container Depot in 1981. Bangalore Airport was opened for International Passengers on 01-01-1995 at the HAL Airport which was later shifted to Devanahalli with the formation of the greenfield Bangalore International Airport in 2008.
Presently, Bangalore Customs Commissionerate covers the offices of Air Cargo Complex, Airport, Inland Container Depot, Customs Division and Postal Appraising Department with its Headquarters at Central Revenue Building, Queens Road, Bangalore.